Even if your house is newly built, you can still use feng shui to make certain that your time there will be favorable and harmonious. Moving to a new home is a fresh new beginning, so it’s important to have an encouraging start.
Below are some things you should and shouldn’t do when moving to a new home:
- Pick a suitable time and date for your move according to the Chinese Almanac. This is the most important tip of all. If you’re not familiar with this process, you can consult a professional feng shui practitioner.
- The moving process should be performed only by members of the immediate family. Don’t include guests at this point. But guests should certainly participate in the house-warming party!
- On moving day, don’t fight, quarrel, argue, scold children, cry, or throw tantrums. These upsetting things symbolize disharmony and unhappiness in the family.
- On moving day, always say encouraging and auspicious things. Don’t say things that are negative or unencouraging.
- Turn on lights, the water supply, and gas and electric appliances to discern the proper functioning and readiness of your new home.
- Set a ceremonial lucky red envelope in your empty rice urn. Fill the urn to the brim with rice. Place a gold and red sticker that symbolizes fullness on the outside of the urn.
- Don’t take a nap in your new home on the afternoon of moving day. Such a nap is a symbol of illness and laziness.
- Buy new mops and brooms. You’re moving into a new home, and you don’t want to sweep in old troubles by using the mops or brooms from your former home. Throw away your old mops and brooms (or leave them behind at the old house), and buy new ones for your new home.
- Don’t enter the new house empty-handed. Each member of the family should carry in a symbol of fortune, such as fresh fruit. Oranges symbolize prosperity, apples stand for safety, pineapples mean good fortune, pomegranates symbolize opportunities, and peaches mean good health. You could also bring something valuable to symbolize good fortune, such as gold or records of savings.
- Pregnant women should not participate in the process of moving into a new home.
- Prepare a dessert on the stove top on the first day in the home. This symbolizes open fire.
Congratulations on your new home, and best wishes for a favorable move and a fresh, new start!